Scientists at the Scripps Translational Science Institute and The Scripps Research Institute have announced the launch of a smartphone-app research study that seeks to understand how receiving personal genetic risk information impacts heart health decisions. The MyGeneRank app allows individuals with genetic data from 23andMe to obtain an estimated genetic risk score for coronary artery disease. Surveys and Apple HealthKit data will be used to determine if this information helped guide decision-making related to lifestyle modification and use of statin medications. Many health conditions, including coronary artery disease (CAD), are caused by a combination of our environment, behaviors and genes. While patients can control some factors that may impact their chances of developing disease, the contribution of their genes remains encoded in their DNA throughout their lives. Now, extensive research has shown that a genetic risk score can be used to identify people with low, intermediate and high risk for CAD. It has also been determined that the use of cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins, provides greater benefit and protection against disease for people with a high genetic risk for CAD. Additionally, despite their inherited genetic risks, individuals have the ability to offset much of their genetic risk for CAD by maintaining healthy lifestyle habits.
New Doctor’s Guide Coming This November!
OVERTURN Denials with an Evidence-Based Data, Appeal | DENIED COVERAGE By Your Insurance For A Recommended Treatement? Apply Free, START Your Application | Doc Coverage by Evidenza Precision Medicine
400+ Pages | Our #1 Seller | Free Shipping
New, Physician’s Book Club | 1-Year Access!
2018 Pharmacy Trends | New Podcast Edu. Series
- Boundaries With Friends and Family Who Ask You To Work For Free. May 19, 2018
- CMT SPOTLIGHT: All Business Media FM Interview on “Concierge Podiatry” [Watch, VIDEO] May 19, 2018
- FORBES | Why Amazon Needs AI At The Center Of Its Healthcare Strategy May 19, 2018
- Reader Requested POLL: In 2017-2018, how successful were societies and medical associations at meeting your practice needs? Please check all that apply. Comments may be posted. May 18, 2018
- LISTEN | DocPreneur Podcast: Meet Emily Durham, MS … Compound Pharmacy and “Precision Medication” May 18, 2018
Hours & Info
#fordoctors AAFP AAPP ACA Affordable care act business concierge care concierge doctor conciergedoctor concierge medicine direct care direct primary care doctor dpc find concierge doctor health healthcare health insurance insurance legal md MDVIP medicare medicine mental-health obamacare physician primary care qliance research retail medicine science startup technology telemedicine
Thu, 11/02/2017 – 4:00pm
By The Scripps Research Institute