Scientists at the Scripps Translational Science Institute and The Scripps Research Institute have announced the launch of a smartphone-app research study that seeks to understand how receiving personal genetic risk information impacts heart health decisions. The MyGeneRank app allows individuals with genetic data from 23andMe to obtain an estimated genetic risk score for coronary artery disease. Surveys and Apple HealthKit data will be used to determine if this information helped guide decision-making related to lifestyle modification and use of statin medications. Many health conditions, including coronary artery disease (CAD), are caused by a combination of our environment, behaviors and genes. While patients can control some factors that may impact their chances of developing disease, the contribution of their genes remains encoded in their DNA throughout their lives. Now, extensive research has shown that a genetic risk score can be used to identify people with low, intermediate and high risk for CAD. It has also been determined that the use of cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins, provides greater benefit and protection against disease for people with a high genetic risk for CAD. Additionally, despite their inherited genetic risks, individuals have the ability to offset much of their genetic risk for CAD by maintaining healthy lifestyle habits.
RECAP of the Latest CONFERENCE PHOTOS, Videos, Interviews and More!
NEW! Subscribe to our New Monthly Industry Business eMagazine
PGX + CONCIERGE MEDICINE
Industry Prescribing Trends
400+ Pages | Our #1 Seller | Free Shipping
- Locate A Doctor
- FL | Bocacare® Now Offering Concierge Medicine -- First hospital-based program in Palm Beach County BOCA
- RANKED: Top 20 Web Sites In Concierge Medicine Revealed -- 2018-2019
- Hilton Head | Is an increase in concierge doctors causing a ‘wealth care’ problem on Hilton Head?
- Poll 2019 | Referrals and Word of Mouth -- How often does it equal ROI with a new Patient enrolling into your practice?
- What is Concierge Medicine? [Updated for 2019]
- FL | Bocacare® Now Offering Concierge Medicine — First hospital-based program in Palm Beach County BOCA February 19, 2019
- Part 2, NEW Podcast | Coordinating Concierge Care With Specialist, Meet Dr. Michael Kagen, Park City, Utah February 19, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE | Interview with David S. Karow, M.D., Ph.D., Chief of Radiogenomics and interim CEO at Human Longevity (HLI) February 19, 2019
- FORBES | J. Goodman: Trump’s New Vision for Health Care February 19, 2019
- Medical Group In Greenwich Announces New Staff February 19, 2019
Hours & Info
#fordoctors AAFP AAPP ACA Affordable care act business concierge care concierge doctor conciergedoctor concierge medicine direct care direct primary care doctor dpc find concierge doctor health healthcare health insurance insurance legal md MDVIP medicare medicine mental-health obamacare physician primary care qliance research retail medicine science startup technology telemedicine
Thu, 11/02/2017 – 4:00pm
By The Scripps Research Institute